01 Jul Mobi-Mat Unveiled at Pensacola Beach
Pensacola, Fla. (June 28, 2019) – The Santa Rosa Island Authority (SRIA) unveiled its new Mobi-Mats on Pensacola Beach Friday morning, June 28, 2019.
Representatives from the SRIA, the Escambia County Commission and the Center for Independent Living of Northwest Florida, Inc., were on hand for an official ribbon cutting ceremony and deployment of the mats.A Mobi-Mat is a portable rollout, non-slip matting that is temporarily or permanently laid down on the ground to provide grip and access for all wheelchairs, strollers, and pedestrians on mobility-resistant sand, grass or other soft and unstable surfaces.Funded by the SRIA and deployed by Escambia County Public Works, the mats will be located on five beaches along the island:
- Casino Beach: A Mobi-Mat is located east of the Public Safety Building and one is stationed west of The Dock Bar.
- Park West: One mat is located on the sound (north) side near the two pavilions.
- Moms Beach (Quietwater Beach): A Mobi-Mat is stationed near the lifeguard tower.
- Boardwalk Beach: A mat is located just east of the Quietwater Beach shell.
- Baby Beach: A Mobi-Mat is located off Avenida 18 on the sound side.Currently, two Mobi-Mats located at Casino Beach are now installed and in use. The rest of the Mobi-Mats will be deployed over the next two weeks.