16 Sep The 8th Biennial Gospel & Gumbo Fundraiser planned for October 27
The 8th Biennial Gospel & Gumbo Fundraiser planned for October 27Pensacola, Fla. – (September 18, 2019) – The 8th biennial Gospel & Gumbo fundraising event to benefit the Michael E. Green Prescription Fund for Our Lady of Angels St. Joseph Medical Clinic will be held on Sunday, Oct. 27, from 4 to 7 p.m. at 5eleven Palafox Event Hosting in downtown Pensacola. The cost of the event is $100 per person, payable to Our Lady of Angels.
The event raises money to help cover the prescription drugs and laboratory costs for Our Lady of Angels St. Joseph Medical Clinic. The community is invited to help raise funds for the clinic’s much needed medical assistance by attending this year’s Gospel & Gumbo event.Participants in this year’s Gospel & Gumbo will be able to sample gumbos donated by the following restaurants:
- Erika Thomas of Portabello Market
- Blake Rushing of Union Public House
- Dan Dunn of Big Top Brewing Co.
- Judy Lewis of Sister Sarah’s Catering
- Irv Miller with Jackson’s Steakhouse
- Coleman Jernigan and Luca Disomma of Cypress
- Jordan Hewes of Craft Gourmet Bakery
- MariCarmen Josephs of Carmen’s Lunch Bar & Tapas
- Gus Silivos of Skopelos at New World
- David Penniman of Classic City Catering
- Greg Rodriquez of The Wine Bar
- George Lazi of George Artisan Bar and BistroComplimentary wine and beer will also be provided by The Lewis Bear Company, The Wine Bar, The Bottle Shop on Baylen, Seville Quarter Wine & Gift Shop and Mrs. Jones Cold Brew.While friends gather to sample the gumbos, they can enjoy familiar gospel hymns sung by the St. Joseph Catholic Church Choir. Plus, Infusion jazz band will be adding their own blend of sounds to the Gospel & Gumbo pot, and Sheriff David Morgan will entertain guests with his singing. The event will also include a silent auction.Longtime supporter Millie Green of Pensacola started the Michael E. Green Prescription Fund in 2005 to honor her late husband, who died in 2003. Green has been instrumental in helping to organize and champion the Gospel & Gumbo biennial charity fundraiser for the clinic.
Our Lady of Angels St. Joseph Medical Clinic is located on the site of the former Our Lady of Angels Maternity Hospital for African American women. Established in 1946, Father Joseph J. Raleigh built the hospital next to the church convent after he realized there was not a public hospital within 75 miles of Pensacola that would accept African-American maternity cases, forcing black and creole women to have their babies at home. An order of Franciscan nuns from Pennsylvania administered Our Lady of Angels Hospital for two decades until all local hospitals were integrated in the mid 1960s.In 2002, Our Lady of Angels St. Joseph Medical Clinic was established by a small group of local physicians and parishioners to provide medical and dental services for uninsured, low-income patients in Escambia County. The clinic is staffed entirely by a volunteer group of doctors, dentists, nurses, social workers and administrative personnel. The clinic’s financial support comes from the community and from charitable donations.Since the clinic’s beginning, Gospel & Gumbo has raised more than $450,000 for non-narcotic prescription drugs and laboratory costs.
“Our primary expense is for prescription drugs, and from anybody’s standard, this fund has been tremendously helpful,” said Dr. David Conkle, a retired heart surgeon and the clinic’s medical director.“We waited three weeks before our first patient arrived in 2002,” said Conkle. “Today, we’re caring for more than 4,500 patients a year.”
St. Joseph Clinic by the numbers (July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019):
Total medical patient visits: 4,198
Total dental patient visits 335
Total number of patient visits 4,583
Total active licensed health care providers 82
Total licensed health care provider volunteer hours 7555.5
Dollar value of services for licensed providers $1,170,183.00
Total number of general staff volunteers 25
Total general staff volunteer hours 4,153.5
Total value of services for general staff volunteers $100,265.49
Total Department of Health volunteers 10
Total Department of Health volunteer hours 2,728
Dollar Value of DOH volunteers $65,853.92
Total dollar value of service $1,336,302.41
Our Lady of Angels St. Joseph Medical Clinic is open four days per week: